Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting Started With a Plan to Finish

For the New Year I am starting a new blog. The biggest purpose for this blog is to create some personal accountability that will hopefully lead to consistency and completion of a certain goal. I have been very reluctant to start this, but it has become quite a nagging idea. I feel quite vulnerable when writing about my thoughts. I don't really want to do this, but I think it will help me stay on task, and if it helps one person in any way...

The subject comes from a book I read about 8 years ago (Yes, I did read the entire book.) titled "How to Study the Bible for Yourself" by Tim LaHaye. I love the direction given in this book. I have started the reading "regimen" a number of times only to be distracted by another (usually shorter) devotion idea. I am a really great starter, but not a great finisher. I start projects, diets, books... I finish some, but not most.

Anyway, this book in particular is a 3 year Bible reading program (...if I remember that part of the book right. I did read it 8 years ago.) which should not be a problem to one who considers the most important part of the day to be the time spent with God in prayer and in His Word. What is 3 years in a lifetime of Bible reading? Maybe I like shorter studies. Maybe I like to feel that small sense of accomplishment more often.

Enough of the rambling excuses of why I have never finished this study plan. Time to get started.

Actually, I did restart the study a few months ago. I am now quite a bit farther along than I have ever been. I am now in Acts. I have not decided yet if I will restart again in order to share my thoughts from the beginning or if I will just keep going. Without spoiling the book for you and doing my best not to plagiarize, I will list what I have read so far in the order that is given in the book. (I do highly recommend the book to anyone who would like "a good working knowledge of the Bible", "a lifetime of Christian productivity", and "maturity in your Christian life in a relatively short period of time".)

We start in I John - reading it seven times through - the entire book each day for seven days.
Next, read the Gospel of John twice by reading four chapters a day.
Then read the Gospel of Mark twice by reading four chapters a day.
Read the epistles of Paul from Galatians through Philemon by reading an entire book each day excluding Galatians, Ephesians and Timothy. Split these epistles up as you see necessary.
Read the Gospel of Luke - four chapters a day.
Read Acts - four chapters a day.
Read Romans - 3 chapters a day.
Read the New Testament twice - 3 chapters a day.

I do sometimes just read 2 chapters a day. It will take longer to get through the study, but I think it is better to read smaller portions and really take it in. If I am short on time and know that I will be distracted from my reading if I am worried about time, I shorten my reading amount.

I will probably write once a week about things that stand out to me or things I learn or things that I am reminded of. Who knows. I am flexible. Let's see where this study and this blog takes us.






No comments:

Post a Comment