Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Themes, Discussions and Focus



Romans 12:1,2 is my theme verse for this year... I was looking back at my notes... just curious to remember how early on it became this year's theme for me. The date in my journal is January 25. After school got out I decided to share this theme with my family and to claim it as our theme verse for this year together. We have not done this as a family before (This is the first time I have had a theme verse for the year for myself.), but I am excited to see how this comes into focus for all of us this year. Looking ahead a little I am excited to see what other verses we can focus on in the coming years.

Working this verse with my kids so that they could better understand what the verse means, I asked the question, "What are three ways we can give our bodies to God as a holy sacrifice acceptable to Him?" (My 9 year old needed clarity on "sacrifice".) The three answers we came up with are 1. Purity 2. Healthy living 3. Christian service. We talked about each of our answers. What does that mean? What does that look like? How do we do that? Why do we do that? etc.

I enjoyed the notes in my Study Bible, and thought they might be beneficial to share. I love my Study Bible. If you don't have one you might want to get one. Mine is the Nelson KJV Study Bible. I used a 25% off coupon at the Family Christian Store (one of our favorite places) a few years ago. This is what it had to say, 

"The body has been an instrument of sin. Now it is to be presented to God as a channel through which the righteousness of God is manifest. Be not conformed (stop conforming yourself): They are to resist being poured into the mold of the present thinking, value systems, and conduct of this world." "...Daily dependance on God results in our transformation into the image of Christ."

Of course my focus in my personal time with God is first on Him, cultivating an accurate view of God, drawing near to Him, coming to know Him better, and second on myself, learning to live a life that is pleasing to Him and all that that entails. One of my difficulties as a mom is focusing on my life and how God is speaking to me. I read a verse and think about one or more of my children... It is not an entirely bad thing, but at the same time I must focus on what God wants me to know first and then think about how I can pass these truths on to my kids.

In other news... Saying goodnight to my son last night after family devotions... I said, "There are three verses in the Bible that say 'walk worthy'. I want you to find them tomorrow and write them in your journal." Expecting his normal eye roll and "that sounds like homework" I was pleasantly surprised by his reaction, "That sounds really cool!" We had a fun conversation about what "walk worthy" means, and that we all need a blinking neon "WALK WORTHY" sign.






No comments:

Post a Comment