Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Study, Practice, Teach

Just a few short thoughts today...

A few months ago I was listening to a recording by a motivational speaker/mentor, Jim Rohn. I cannot be sure that He was a Christian, but He taught a lot of biblical principals. He said, "If you believe something you should do three things. Study. Practice. Teach."

I thought this was very valuable advice. I took it to heart and plan to live by it. These words came to my mind quite a few times today while I was reading Hebrews chapters 4, 5 and 6... and highlighting many verses. One of them is Hebrews 4:12... one of my husband's favorites.

The few verses that really stood out to me are found in the 5th chapter, verses 11 through 14.
Powerful. Convicting. Challenging.

11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
12 For when for the time ye aught to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again... and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to [the mature], even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
In the study notes... "lazy hearing can result in a life of sluggishness."

The thought of "a life of sluggishness" bothers and convicts me, because "Only one life will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." ~C.T. Studd

The scripture is challenging, because many times I am still in need of the milk, and I am bull of hearing when it comes to the meat. In other words, I lack understanding, and often I am more of a hearer than a doer (James 1:22,23). Truth hurts.

However, I am very encouraged! If I continue to study, practice and teach I will continue to mature and become more fit for the meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment