Sunday, October 19, 2014

About My Favorite Day of the Week and My Favorite Place to Be

Quoting my pastor... actually paraphrasing, because I didn't write it down word for word... "We don't go to church for the music or the jokes (the entertainment), we go because we want to hear from God."

Yes, yes we do! Our soul thirsts for God, for the one true God. It's the way we were created - what, or rather Who, we were created for - HIM. (Colossians 1:16)

It makes me think of the many reasons/excuses I have heard people use for not attending church.

There is a quote circulating on line: "Not going to church because of the hypocritical people is like not going to the gym because of the overweight people." I love it!

We are every one hypocrites! We are every one self-centered. We are every one sinners. Yes, my friend, even you, and to quote the apostle Paul, "I am chief". (1 Timothy 1:15)

We should not go to church because of what we can get, but rather for what we can give.

So let me encourage you in this way...

If you feel like others are not a blessing to you, take an opportunity to be the blessing to others.

If you feel like people at church don't love on you enough, take it as an opportunity to love on other people.

When you feel like somebody may not be as gracious to you as you wish, be extra gracious to them.

If you feel like you don't get fed by the preaching, take it as an opportunity to worship God by the giving of your attention to the Word being preached rather than the man preaching.

If the music is not to your liking, realize it's not about you... It is for the praise and worship of the one true God.

I know, you have an excuse not listed above. Let me say, Jesus Christ built His church. He is the foundation. (Matthew 16:15-18) Quoting my pastor again, "You cannot be a true follower of Christ unless you are a part of His church."

I love church! I know I need it!
I need the fellowship of the body.
I need to time of worship in music.
I need the preaching of the Word.
I am not alone in this. You need it too.

So I encourage you to stop going to church with a critical outlook. Stop getting offended by the way people may look at you or talk to you. Stop picking apart the people, the pastor, the music, the way things are done, the this that and the other. Go to church with a giving spirit every time. Open yourself to giving to others. Give them a smile. Say their name when you say hello. Give your attention to God and His Word. Give yourself in true worship. And do it all for Him.

Happy Lord's Day! Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment