Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Journal Notes Today

Before you read today's blog just go read Matthew 4-6. I know that may not be where you are in your Bible reading, and you may have already read your Bible today, but what harm is there in reading a few extra chapters? Maybe while you are reading highlight some verses that stand out to you, and verses that you feel are a particular message to you today, maybe journal some commands, principles, promises...

Did you read it?

WOW! Right!

Jesus covered a lot. I have 3 pages of notes in my journal today. I wanted you to read it for yourself before I shared my thoughts so that you could record your own thoughts first. The Bible never means anything different than what it means, it is just that sometimes different passages stick out to different people at different times. Now we can compare notes...

A timeless principle:
Matt. 4:4 "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDETH OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD."

This verse is always a good one for me as I have mentioned before, I am a food lover. I am daily working on craving God over food. But what stuck out to me even more today was the word "every"... every word out of the mouth of God. I wanted to let that one sink in a bit.

And then I read on... there is so much meat in this passage! I remember feeling this same way last time I read through the gospels... how I felt like I was overflowing with so much truth, instruction, guidance... that I could not retain it all. But as I read it now I almost quote many parts of it on my own. That's exciting!

A command to keep:
Matthew 4:10 Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.
Matthew 4:17 Repent
Matthew 4:19 Follow me
Matthew 5:13 Be the salt of the earth (paraphrased)
Matthew 5:14 Be the light of the world (paraphrased)
Matthew 5:15 Let your light so shine!
Matthew 6:19 Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven

A promise:
Matthew 4:19 I will make you fishers of men

In the Beatitudes of Matthew 5:3-12 there are promises. The one that spoke to me today is 3:6. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled (the promise).

Jesus teaches on so many things in this passage that is called "The Sermon on the Mount"... anger, adultery, divorse, oaths, loving your enemy, giving alms, prayer... just to name a few.

Matthew 5:48 says, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect." Whenever I read the word "perfect" in the Bible I have to go down and read the study notes, because I know I cannot be perfect especially if the example of perfect is God the Father! So this is what I took form those notes. "Perfect - complete... possessing complete love... embrace those that love you as well as those who hate you..."

I didn't quite understand verse 22 of chapter 6 either. "The light of the body is the eye, if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." Study notes, "if thine eye be single...devotion to one purpose... fixed vision or goal."That helped! Now I get it.

God's message to me today:
Matthew 5:6 (found above)
Matthew 6:8 "...for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him." I love this truth! I need to be reminded of this almost daily or even hourly!
Matthew 6:19-21, 24-34 are Key verses for me. They convict and encourage me every time I read them or hear them. "Treasures in Heaven" and "Trusting the Master".

In my Bible I have started to draw little hearts by the verses that pertain to the heart. So there is now a heart by Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there will your HEART be also."

So, there is a sneak peek into my daily note taking habits. I am sure they are not all inclusive. I have no doubt I have left out some promises, commands and principles, but this is the message I got today. It always helps me to remember, apply and be accountable when I blog it.






No comments:

Post a Comment